Monday, February 2, 2009

Girly Curls



I have one beautiful daughter who was born oozing femininity. Before she was even one she had a fascination with shoes, trying on every pair she came upon. Hair styles, coordinating outfits, accessories, and jewelry...she notices everything and tries on several combinations before being satisfied with her appearance. She asks constantly for me to do her nails. The mirror is her friend. I catch her posing and talking to her reflection almost daily. Her favorite activity is getting dressed up for her dance performances which involves, hair, makeup, body glitter, the works. She is as girly as they come...being surrounded by four brothers has not had any effect on her. In fact, I believe it has strengthened her resolve to be the princess of this castle.




In contrast, I grew up a tomboy. I preferred sports over outfits. A ponytail was my hairstyle of choice. A sweatshirt and jeans were okay by me. The only boys I noticed (before junior high) were those who were better at a sport than me. I hated dresses, make-up, high heels...they made me feel uncomfortable...I still feel a little shaky in heels.


I don't understand how I could have had a daughter so completely opposite of me. I joke with my husband that she must have inherited his gene for girly-ness. One could believe that but he is as unfeminine as they come...completely on the other end of the spectrum!!



Tonight for family night we split up by gender, the boys engaging in a rousing contest of skill and determination (code for video game), while we two girls spent the evening trying out my daughter's new set of curlers. It was a stretch for me, but she was in heaven!! "This is so fun, Mom! Let's do make-up too! And then will you do my nails, PLEAAASE!!" She had a ball and when we were finished she had to come and show the boys how beautiful she was. She had to flip her hair a few times, but finally got the attention and adoration she was looking for. "Thank you, Mom!! Let's do that again tomorrow, but.....(some variation on the hair-do)."




I am so grateful for aunts, cousins, and friends who share her flare for style and fashion. She really loves them too. Sometimes how she acts and thinks is so foreign to me...it is an effort for me to be girly with her, but I'll keep trying! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. oh, you are a good mom!

    she is as girly as it gets :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have more and more in common everyday! Eryn likes to pretend to put on make-up and LOVES getting dressed up in fluffy pink dresses. I prefer jeans and a T-shirt with some sort of sports logo on it. Where do these girls come from?

    ReplyDelete