Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sanity


As of my last post, I was really questioning my state of mind. I was a bit rattled, but I can now restore faith in my sanity with this little disclosure: our oldest broke out yesterday with the chicken pox. Yes, chicken pox...the reason this itchy rash is the key to my sound mind is simple. Before a person actually breaks out in bumpy red spots, he or she first runs a fever. A fever thoroughly describes his headache, his nightmare, and the fact that he was cold and needed another blanket put on his bed. (I did leave out that last bit in my prior post, but I actually didn't remember doing it until now...) So that bit about him coming in and asking me something actually was a dream and I am not going crazy!


Yes!! My saneness is no longer in question. I really do feel better about things.



However, I'm not totally celebrating my compos mentis just yet. I have been reading up on the chicken pox virus and have discovered an alarming fact. While getting your child immunized with varicella (weakened chicken pox virus) is a smart way to prevent this childhood disease, it is not always 100% effective. 10% of those immunized will still get the virus, but will be spared the full blow and will experience a milder form of the disease.


This is where I feel my mental health beginning to waiver just a little...the incubation period for chicken pox is 10-21 days. What if, (a big if, but still) all five of my cute kids somehow fall into that 10% who still get chicken pox after being vaccinated and we have to deal with chicken pox for a possible 3 months straight???? I don't even want to think about it...the thought of such a scenario gives me nightmares!


1 comment:

  1. 5 kids with even a mild form of the chicken pox would cause anyone's mental health to fail. hopefully the oldest will remain the 1 in 10 who contracts it!

    ReplyDelete