Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My Pet Peeve


I have a pet peeve. Okay I have a few, but for your sake I just have one right now. My pet peeve is unmade beds. I can't stand them. They bother me and call out to me to be made, straightened, beautified. Have you ever sat behind someone who has the tag of their shirt sticking out...and it's all you can do to not tuck it back in for them?? That is how an unmade bed looks to me...something I can't overlook or ignore. Ever since I can remember I have always made my bed the second that I get up...when I was little I even remember taking pride in getting out of bed and having the bed still look made!! Sometimes I would sleep on top of my made bed with a blanket so that it was still made when I was done sleeping. I know, I'm a little wacky!


When I was younger I shared a room with my older sister. She had the opposite feelings about bed-making. She never made it unless she had friends over. It drove me crazy!! One day I made her bed for her thinking that maybe she would appreciate it and knowing for sure that I would. Her reaction was unexpected. She was so mad! She told me to not touch her things and to leave them how they were...VERY emphatically! I never made her bed again.


But it's different in my own home. I encourage bed-making. Our kids are supposed to make their beds before leaving for school...maybe 50% of the time they succeed. I used to make their beds for them, but I am learning (it has been difficult) to close the doors to their rooms on the days that they don't...after all they can't grow up thinking that Mom will do what they neglect to do...at least that's my reasoning.


Okay, I know you're wondering where is all this going? What is my point? My point is this: It is now late evening and I just walked past my own bedroom and guess what...MY bed is still unmade. I'm still in shock at the discovery. But guess what? I resisted the urge to make it. I kind of felt a little wild and crazy, rebellious if you will.




I have been distracted lately...see my last two posts. Photoshop is an adventure to me...a mystery to be unfolded. Apparently it is also a cure for my bed-making obsession.

1 comment: