Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summer Games: Mine Exploration

This is our fourth year attending the Summer Games shooting competition just outside of Cedar City. We love the area, it is a rugged desert with lots of personality.

It is also an area rich in iron and there is lots of evidence of previous mining efforts and booming industry.



Thanks to my sister and brother-in-law, this year we got to explore an adventure that is only about ten minutes away from the outdoor range.
Down a dusty dirt road is a gigantic old iron pit-mine that has since been abandoned and has slowly filled with water.





First of all I must explain my extreme fear of heights. It is an unreasonable, yet uncontrollable fear that I get whenever I am near an extreme edge... with loved ones. I am not afraid for myself, but I cannot stand to see someone I care about near the edge. I get paralyzed, sweaty, and my heart-rate goes through the roof. It is all I can do to keep myself from going into complete meltdown!

With that said, I had a very, very hard time getting up the courage to going down the tiny, bumpy, precarious road that winds down into this mine. Can you see our friends' white suburban on the road? Yes, with much prodding I conceded in letting us go down...but my eyes were closed the whole time!! And I may or may not have had to make a pit stop to avoid a wet seat!



Once I was able to get over my near death experience, it really was a beautiful, interesting landscape.



Although the precarious parking may or may not have been another setback for me.



(view from the precarious parking)




Once we made it to the water, the kids couldn't resist a chance to dip in their toes...and eventually their whole bodies.




We saw a few fish, a few butterflies, and a few rusted out wrecked cars...





which sure didn't help me on the way back up and out!






It is an experience that I'm grateful for, but also one I'm grateful to be done with. I sure felt a lot better once we were a safe distance away from the edge!

No comments:

Post a Comment