Monday, November 28, 2011

Pizza Bowl

Our second oldest played his last football game of the season on a cold October evening. We're talking really cold...hats, gloves, frozen toes, daydreaming of hot chocolate, the works. His team qualified for the pizza bowl, a consolation bracket for those teams that didn't make it into the playoffs.



One thing I think our #44 has learned this season is that teamwork isn't always about winning. It is about supporting each other, doing your job, owning your mistakes, and working together to correct mistakes.






Sure, it would have been really fun for them to have won more games, but I'm kind of glad they didn't so that he could learn how to lose. It is easy to talk about losing gracefully, but another thing to really do it.



We have a talented, determined little football player. That night he caused several "hurries" by the other quarter back. He was a real team leader and I was proud of how he kept being aggressive and doing his part even when winning was out of sight.









He stuck in there and had many key tackles. I don't know if he'll choose to play next year, and until I thaw out a little I don't know if I want him to, but I'm grateful for the valuable experience he has gained...and I hope he remembers it!

1 comment:

  1. Good for #2! I'm so glad he had a successful season--the lessons learned are very valuable! You are a good football mom--frozen and all!!

    ReplyDelete