Monday, November 28, 2011

A Broken Toe Can Be a Blessing

Remember the agony of this?







Turns out it was a blessing in disguise, a big one! With a broken toe comes several weeks away from running which wasn't so fun. Especially considering that I missed the marathon after I put in so much time...not fun. BUT...here comes the blessing part, when one returns to running, one must take it slowly or risk re-injury or another injury altogether. During that part: the slowly getting back into it, one day my husband expressed a desire to come with me.





That's all it took!! That day I searched the classifieds, found a smoking deal on a decent bike in a nearby town and the next morning we set off together at 5:15 a.m. on our run/bike. In the following weeks I have rediscovered several truths: 1) it is more fun to run with someone than alone 2) regular meaningful conversation is so good for a marriage 3) those two big rottweilers that chase me aren't so scary anymore 4) why didn't we discover this years ago??? It has been so fun! I know that as he gets into better shape he will be riding circles around me. But even if we're together just during his warm-up and cool-down I still love his company!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you can see the silver lining! I remember how much I loved riding my bike with you as you ran! Remember when Grandpa Pingree rode with you, and couldn't believe how far you went! Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, you two! Brian and I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete