Thursday, May 12, 2011

Second Place



I have a love/hate relationship with second place. Being the competitive person that I am, I relish the victory! But, who doesn't?? And second is pretty awesome, I mean, second place means that only one person outdid you. I always went for first place...when I was younger it truly was a big motivator for me and I almost always won....






Yet, there have been many, many times in my years of competing that I placed second...and with second comes so many "if only....". Second place still feels like an accomplishment, but there is just that little twinge of something lost! The hardest second place for me came in college at Cross-Country nationals in New York. As a team we took second...by one point, one measly little point! Oh, it was brutal...I personally never felt like we won second, but that we lost first. ......and my point is: I understand the varied emotions that come with taking second place.







Just the other day I watched our first-grader compete in his school's jump-a-thon.



He is in green on the right. He had practiced and was really excited that morning to compete in his first jump-a-thon! The whole school gathered in the gym to watch. He jumped and jumped and pretty soon all the other jumpers were out except him and one other first-grader...and, after a long battle, she won. I could see on his face the happiness he felt at taking second and I was so proud of him. He was just beaming! He never expected to do so well and he held his head high.








Just a few minutes later, our third-grader competed in her jump-a-thon. It was a slightly different experience for her than for our first-grader. The difference was that she won the jump-a-thon in first grade...and second grade. She knew what it felt like to win and fully expect to do it again.







After many long minutes it came down to her and one other third-grader. She seemed relaxed, having been in this position before...she knew what it took to outlast the rest...and then, a slight mistake and she was out. I could see on her face a flash of sudden surprise and then disappointment at the outcome. She replaced it quickly with a smile and appreciated the applause. She was a gracious second-placer. I was so proud of her too! I knew exactly what she was feeling and I was just so proud of her that she could be happy with second even though I know she really felt like she had lost.





In the days since the jump-a-thon I have done a little bit of reflecting...and you know, second place is not bad, not bad at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment