Friday, March 19, 2010

Empathy

Spring is near. I can tell from the pussy willows outside my window and by the warm, sunny days that tease my kids into thinking it's warm enough to wear shorts.

The other morning it was quiet (rare occurrence) enough while we were eating breakfast that we could hear a dove coo-cooing outside in a nearby tree. We all got up and tried to look for the bird that was so insistently calling out.
Our Star Wars fan found him and I made the comment that he must be looking for a wife to start a family with.
Our daughter took a closer look and said, "No Mom, his wife is right there (further up in the tree).
Then our oldest noticed that they were making a nest where a branch met the trunk of the tree. "Look, they have a nest!"
So I innocently made the comment that he must be coo-cooing for some other reason.
My husband got a sly look on his face and said, "I know the feeling."

Yes, Spring is in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment